Answering Some Photowalk Questions

I hope everyone is having a pleasant Memorial Day holiday, at least those of you that are lucky enough to have the day off.  I received a few questions about the upcoming photowalk so I thought I would take a few minutes to see if I could give some answers so here we go.

Q - What if I never received the account activation email?

A - With thousands of people signing up for photowalks all over the world, it’s not hard to imagine that some of them might slip through the cracks.  Contacting the leader won’t do much good.  All they can do is see if you are on their registered list.  If you have questions about your registration, try contacting the official Photowalk Services Department.  You can find the contact page here.  They should hopefully be able to help with any issues you might be having.

Q - I signed up for the DC photowalk, but it turns out I may be traveling to Los Angeles that week. Can I switch photowalks? How?

A - I have been trying to find an answer to this one but I haven’t come across anything definitive yet.  I know that, as a leader, I can delete an attendee from my list.  This should remove them from the system and allow them to then register for a different photowalk but I’m not 100% about that.  I am pretty sure that the web developers are working on an easy method to make this happen but until that time, hold off on trying to switch until they can work out a firm solution.  When I find out the mechanism for switching I will be sure to pass it along to you.

Q - I am wondering how you handle the food/drink after a walk?  The restaurant I had been counting on when I signed up for the walk said there was no way they could handle 50 separate orders and suggested a pizza buffet. I do not want to be responsible for collecting money for the pizza…nor do I want to get stuck with the bill.

A - You should not burden yourself with organizing the after-walk gathering beyond finding a spot that can accommodate your group.  Last year I ended my photowalks (yes, I had two of them) at a food court with a common seating area so everyone could get their own food and then we could all sit together and share our experience.  On one photowalk, I picked a sandwich shop that had adequate seating but also had a park outside so we could have a picnic-type experience.  It was a lot of fun.  The truth is that you can never accurately predict how much seating you will need for the after-walk gathering because some folks will stick around, some people will bring spouses or children, while others will go on their merry way.  The best advice I can give is to find a location that will allow everyone to buy their own food and drinks and then provide enough space to seat a large group.  This isn’t an easy bill to fill but no one ever said being a Photowalk Leader was a piece of cake.

That’s all I have for today.  Keep those questions coming and I will do my best to get you some answers.

Comments

1. livornophotowalk says:

Spam, spam, spam!!!

The mail sent by the official site are often considered spam by the mail servers in the world; also the mail that you try to send to contact the leader are blocked by akismet (great!). If you want to contact some people about the photowalk don’t use the word Photowalk, it’will be probably spammed.
    Look the mail on the webmail in the spam directory, probably the activaction mail it’s there.

2. Thank you, Jeff, for your thoughtful and thorough answer to my question about feeding people after the walk. I need to do some rethinking and rerouting, but your input will help tremendously.

3. Kingdex says:

I am the Colorado Springs walk leader. I’m interested in the ways in which walk leaders review, share and pick PW image submissions after the walk. And, when, how (and what format) do leaders send the best-of-walk submission for prize competition?

Regards,
    Kingdex

4. coree coppinger says:

All ready I am getting questions on how and where to up load pictures, since we are no longer using Flicker. Will there be a link for up-loading photos? In Flicker we had a choice of size files to up-load, although we paid for large files. The common ground is jpg, are there size limitations this time around? The answer to these questions i hope will be revealed soon. last year I looked nightly at the uploads of my walkers. I new which ones caught my eye right away. I also ran into problems with people whom I did not see during the walk, and their times in the meta were not the same as the rest of the group. Our rule was no changing the event, because of skills and fairness to all. Shoot the event don’t create your own. Still I ran into people who created situations. I walk the area before the walk so I know what will be there and not. I review by composition, technical skills, and pizzaz. Once I have a selection of pictures I like, then which one would I put on my wall. I had a selection narrowed down to three by the time everything had been loaded.

5. Kingdex says:

Thanks for the input on your blog. Looks like viewing & selecting for photowalk submission is mostly up to the leaders. Nice to know submission will be easier than Flickr.

Had another interesting PW question: I was asked by a potential participant why there was no information available about the walk leader’s background or involvement in photography. As I recall, some additional profile information was requested when I enrolled as a walk leader. Is this info going to be made available to prospective (or active) participants? I guess it could be emailed if requested but I can understand how people might be curious about the walk leader’s photo-connection.

Comments?
    Regards,
    kingdex

6. Adrienne says:

Thanks Jeff for the quick response on possibly changing Photowalk cities.

Trackbacks

1. Jeff Revell says:

Answering Some Photowalk Questions – http://shar.es/mstM

2. Nicole Young says:

3. Al Del Degan says:

RT @nicolesy: Here are some answers to a few questions about the upcoming "Worldwide Photo Walk" in July: http://bit.ly/aynFz

4. John Martin says:

RT Here are some answers to a few questions about the upcoming “Worldwide Photo Walk” in July: http://bit.ly/aynFz (via @nicolesy)